ST. MARY’S CEMETERY - 36105 24 MILE ROAD AT BASE STREET
St. Mary’s Cemetery dates back to 1878. It is at the highest point of Base Street at 24 Mile Road in New Baltimore, one mile from our church, where you will find the main entrance.
In May, 1949, a large stone cross was erected in honor of the military from St. Mary’s who died during World War II. The Anchor Bay Council of the Knights of Columbus donated a grave marker monument to the unborn victims of abortion. It is crowned with a beautiful statue of Mary holding the Christ Child, invoking our Blessed Mother to have mercy on us.
In 2002, plans were developed for the construction of a columbarium shelter, as Church policy and practice now permit cremation. There are 90 niches inside each of the four columns, for a total of 360 niches. The cremated remains of the deceased, are to be placed in a suitable container and put in a place of reverence and respect, as we do with full body burials in our cemetery graves.
In August, 2013, we completed construction of our beautiful new cemetery chapel, which we use for committal services when a graveside service is not chosen or not available due to the weather (usually November through May).
Rita Mayer - Cemetery Manager - 586-725-2441 ext. 13